Allow me to let you in on a secret that can have a huge and positive impact on your health and weight concerns – it’s sunfood!
You may know it as a plant-based or Vegan diet, but sunfood is just such a cool word! Everywhere I’ve gone for the past few weeks, people keep telling me how great I look. Last week at my doctor’s appointment, my blood pressure was 115/75. And my lab work has never looked so good! I’ve lost over 15 pounds and feel amazing, all because I’ve been eating a plant-based diet for over three months.
There are so many options today that taste great and work as substitutes in every recipe you can imagine. I’ve been able to cook most of my family’s favorite dishes with just one or two substitutions. I’ve also found creamer for my coffee, all the feel-good foods, and tons of delicious options at Sonoma County restaurants.
Honestly, it’s not difficult to make the switch without denying all the things you love about eating!
Here’s a cheat sheet of products that can be found locally at Community Market, Oliver’s, or Whole Foods in Sonoma County. Click on each product name for more information.
- Silk Almond creamer
- Chao Cheese
- Wildwood Cream
- So Delicious Ice Cream (they have yogurt and whipped cream, too!)
- Melt Butter
- Tofutti Cream Cheese
- Litelife: Smart Bacon
- Gardein (Available as chicken, beef, or fish)
- Beyond Beef: Ground beef (great for tacos, sloppy joes, or lasagna)
Sonoma County Restaurants / Food To Go:
- Gaia’s Garden, Santa Rosa
- Amy’s Drive Thru, Rohnert Park
- Thai Time Asian Bistro, Santa Rosa
- Himalayan Vegan Organic, Cotati
- Hot bars Community Market, Whole Foods
- Slice of Life, Sebastopol
- Kafal Restaurant, Santa Rosa
- Taste of Nepal, Sebastopol
- Muir Tea Room, Sebastopol
- Yeti, Santa Rosa (Vegan-friendly)
I’m aware that there are Vegans who are absolutely committed in their beliefs. They resist people who don’t commit 100%, but who otherwise align themselves with many of their concerns.
However, eating sunfood does not require you to be an “all or nothing” individual. You can join me in becoming healthier, happier, and looking better with the added bonus of being on the right side of climate change and animal rights without saying a word. Additionally, there’s the added bonus of supporting companies that are sustainable, support fair trade, and are peaceful.
Whether you change your eating habits a little or a lot, we can all benefit from eating more sunfood (don’t you just love that word!?).