Our youngest daughter started preschool this month, and while we are loving all the messy “art” she’s bringing home, we aren’t a huge fan of her little runny nose. Often referred to as the “daycare drip” the ongoing exposure to multiple bugs is great for an immune system.
However, regular winter colds are not so great for our little kids need for rest and learning. Here are some great holistic products for the natural mama, combating this season’s cold and flu:
A Natural Mama’s Guide to Surviving the Cold Season
Cough and Cold: An Ounce of Holistic Prevention
1) Wash Hands: Hand washing is the number one way to prevent the spread of germs, and it’s a great self-care habit to teach your children. We have a solid hand-washing routine: First, consider washing your hands whenever you come home, and whenever you get to a location you will be at for a while, like preschool. Have your children get their hands wet first, then add some soap, and scrub for as long as it takes to sing the alphabet (with the water off of course). Rinse those hands, and dry them thoroughly! (Drying the hands is the most important part of this routine.) If you are looking for a great natural soap, we love EO out of Marin.
2) Bone Broth, available at Oliver’s and other local retailers (and somewhat easy to make) is a great way to deliver nutrients and minerals to your (and your child’s) body during the cold and dark winter months. If drinking it straight is a little much, consider using it in soups.
3) Try a spoonful of sugar, or Elderberry Syrup. Considered the workhorse of natural medicine, this is attributed to helping with everything from flu symptoms to joint pain. Elderberry syrup is rich in antioxidants and also something you can make at home!
Cough and Cold: Managing a Cold Naturally with Hyland’s 4 Kids
1) Enter Hyland’s 4 Kinds Cough ‘n Cold. We are huge fans of homeopathic remedies in our home because we don’t want to rely on Tylenol or Advil every time her nose gets “runny”. Here’s what Hyland’s has to say about their cough and cold medicine.
“Hyland’s 4 Kids Cold ‘n Cough Day and Night Combo Pack with Natural Grape Flavor provides natural relief of common cold symptoms in children including coughing, sneezing, sore throat, runny nose and nasal and chest congestion and occasional sleeplessness.* Our products have multi-symptom relief without stimulant side effects. This product is alcohol free, sugar free, and dye free. Its formula is designed for kids 2 years old and up. Contains no Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Pseudoephedrine or Dextromethorphan Hyland’s developed this medicine to help kids get the rest they need to heal from colds and coughs. No sedatives and no next-morning grogginess.”
2) Essential Oils: Alongside Hyland’s, essential oils are a great holistic option to manage chest congestion. For littles, essential oils must be used cautiously. Kids can’t be safely treated with popular essential oils (like Eucalyptus) but one of our writers swears by Kidsafe by Plant Therapy, and they have quite the extensive list of products.
We hope you stay well this winter season, and please tell us: what’s your favorite holistic way to manage kid’s coughs or colds?
Disclaimer: Always talk to a doctor before use. Always read and follow label directions. *The uses for our products are based on traditional homeopathic practice. They have not been reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration.